In addition to data backup, Iomega suggests these additional uses:
- Archiving old e-mail or other files you don't use any more but may want to access someday
- Storing unusually large files, such as graphic images that you need infrequently
- Exchanging large files with someone
- Putting your system on another computer, perhaps a portable computer
- Keeping certain files separate from files on your hard disk (for example, personal finance files)
The Zip drive can be purchased in either a parallel or a Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) version. In the parallel version, a printer can be chained off the Zip drive so that both can be plugged into your computer's parallel port.